Logo

2002 BF225 won't start, gauges not on

ChuxCaliber

I have about 1000hrs on motors. Last trip out noticed the gauges weren't working on port motor, but it started and ran good. There is a bottom finder and gps connected to the port battery with a volt indicator on the display. Good charging voltage indicated all day on the port battery. When home from trip tried to flush motor and the gauges still didn't work but this attempt revealed the familiar starting beep was gone and the motor would not start. In fact the starter won't engage. I replaced the starter switch but that didn't help. Checked fuses (I am aware of), checked for wiring problems under helms station, didn't find anything. I'm thinking a problem in the motor. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for you reply, Chuck

Lots of possibilities. However, since you have twins, I would suggest you swap ECM's and see if problem goes to starboard engine. If so, then you have a bad ECM. Next, I would make sure you have excellent continuity between your battery negative terminal and the engine casing - near zero resistence. In the process, pull your battery terminals and clean them and make sure you have very good contact. Measure voltage between the large red terminal on the starter to the engine casing. It should read almost exactly the same voltage between the two battery terminals. Beyond that, you need to go on a bug hunt for a bad or corroded connection.

Fuse #3 provides the 12v to the keyswitch. Make sure you have power there before you go too far.

With a test light, make sure there is power through #3 and all the fuses. Do not just check the fuses. #3 fuse also provides power to the trim and tilt switch on your shifter. So....if no power at #3, then nothing else will work.

If you have power at #3 fuse, then you are loosing it between the engine and the helm. There could also be an issue with the ground

CHawk was right about cleaning and checking all connections at batteries, etc. I have a feeling you will find some corrosion problem there or at the fuse block.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike! I've completed much of the checks from CHawk, so as soon as I get all the connectors back together again and the ground wire back on I'll go to your suggestions.

Ok, I have the starter circuit working now. Reconnected all the plugs, negative battery connection and replaced the #3 fuse. The oil indicator lights up and the starter turns over but the gauges still don't work. We're getting there! Chuck

Spray some WD-40 on your kill switch, move it in and out several time, and reconnect the kill switch clip and see if that gets you started. Make sure you have power coming to the key switch and the gauges. On some boats, the power to the gauges is daisy-chained from one gauge to another. If that daisy chain is broken, either at the power source, or between the gauges, then some or all will not work. Same goes for the ground wire - it is often daisy-chained between gauges. It's basically a bug hunt using a voltmeter to see if power is coming into the console and where it is being interrupted.

There is a wiring diagram in the back of your owner's manual. It should help, it you know how to read it. http://marine.honda.com/Owners/Manuals/models/BF225

The switched power +12v leaves the switch via a black/yellow lead. It normally goes through a 7.5 amp fuse in the harness to the gauges. Some harnesses do not have the fuse, so do not panic if you can not find it.

Follow the yellow/black lead from the key to the harness connectors. Pull the connectors apart under the dash and make sure there is no corrosion on pins, etc. Reseat those connectors several times. That black/yellow lead sends power back to the engine to activate the main relay to power everything up.

Mike

Back