Logo

converter stopped working. Replace with smart charger?

Pal

Contributing Member
Hi, I have an '81 with a 454, and I have used the converter that came with the boat. It seems to have died, and Raritan says that parts aren't availble anymore, etc. I know that converters are kind of old school and many people have just replaced them with smart battery chargers.
has anyone done this and are there down sides to it, or any good ideas?
This is a converter not an inverter, and I think I only use it for running DC stuff (lights) when I'm on shore power. Thanks

ps- any good brands of chargers for a one engine , two battery set-up?​

just rember when selecting. transformers create a lot of electrolisis isolation style or high freq should be considered. quality comes with a price here.

Ok, will do. I hadn't thought of that angle. I wonder if my thirty year old converter was causing a lot of my electrolysis problems on my boat..?

rember the guy with the shore cord hanging in the water next to you[ if keep in a slip] will also cause this electrolisis to your boat. poorly maintained shore power from the marina can cause this as well. quick tip inspect the condition of other boats in marine/out drives anodes or signs of sever corision on multible boats.multible stage chargers work well as they reduce amps as battery recovers dropping to a float stage this will prevent over charging aka boiling. may consider a charger compatible with glass mat/gel seal /sealed lead acid/ in the event you upgrade batteries latter.you might look into the ABYC website for complyence and recomendations. hope this helps not ment to confuse you probly have more questions than answers. sean

Back