Logo

Steps to install 1979 305

Kar Volk

My neighbor has a Searay Cabin Cruiser, and while the motor was being rebuilt he's had foot surgery and can't finish it, so I am. Is there a online manual ,step by step, to help me do it for him? I'm starting with bare block and a box of parts, even a pic of how it should look will HELP !

Yes.... I'd have the same questions as Bill...... which OEM engine/drive..... and what size hull (it may have an influence on your engine build!)

Keep in mind some of the issues that come up when over-hauling a previously Raw Water cooled engine, if that's the case..... and in particular, Florida!

Also consider that a 5.7L can often be built for less money than a 5.0L.

Depending on how far along you are with parts ordering, see and read this thread regarding piston/cylinder head selection, etc.

The true Marine version of the SBC is considerably different from it's Automotive counter-part.
It can be much more than just head gaskets, cam profile and bronze core plugs!

When you say "Bare Block" do you mean exactly that? Do you have to assemble the rotating assembly inside the engine block or do you have a completely rebuilt and assembled long block? Meaning you just have to install the tins, intake, water pump and so on......

1979 305 mercury marine FL. Block was done at shop, just trying to put other stuff on like alt,starter,steering pump,coil,dist,etc.

Back