Logo

Getting the lower dipstick out

indybleck

Contributing Member
Getting ready to put the boat away a 1988 OMC 5.7 and thought I'd check the lube in the lower unit. A couple of weeks ago I was draining the lower and took a screw out that was supposed to stay had to take it to the shop so they could get the brass nut out of the exhaust. When they did this they split the lower and changed the lube, so I want to make sure its at the proper level so I don't have to worry about it in the spring. Well the dip stick is in so tight I can't get it to move. Called the shop and they said yeah they are in there tight, the mechanic has a tool he made that goes on a socket I'm sure he cut a shaft off a long screwdriver and fit it to a socket. I can't get my longest driver to the dipstick because of the swim platform he suggested to try to loosen it up with a chisel, I don't like that idea, is there any other way I can get it out, I might just take it back up there on the way to storage and have them loosen it up for me. Does it really have to be that tight? I would think not if the seal on the dipstick is good. I know it has to be tight.

Got the stick out yesterday and there was a litttle rush of air as I broke the seal. The lube is clear on the stick and I had a hard time seeing the lube, so I'm going to check it again today and maybe put more in it with the stick loose then see what happens. If it's over filled I can always pump a little out. I'd rather do that than not have enough.

Checked it again and everything is good. Thanks for all the replies and solutions, I hit this site everyday to see what problems owners have, and the answers that forum users come up with. Like I stated before I'm a rookie OMC owner and I'm sure I'll have more questions than answers but I will contribute whenever I can. Thanks again for a great OMC forum.

Tom

Back