Logo

400 series to 800 series mid 70's Swap.

Webber

I have a 1976 glassmaster with a 4 cylinder. Has a 400 series stringer that the lower gearcase is completely gone on. I have found an 800 series from the same era and it will be an easy swap to the intermediate housing. My question is will the gear ratio work or do I need to find another 400 series to do this with. The problem with my 400 is the wires to the shift solenoid got wrapped up in the gears. Also the lower casing is cracked. If the upper 800 gear ratio won't work will the lower gear box work with the upper 400 gearbox. Thanks.

Also I was wondering if I could take the lower gearcase off of a cobra and use it with my 400 series upper. Thus doing away with the electric shift and making it a manual shift 400.

Yes, the ratio must be correct for the engine.
Substituting propeller size/pitch for an incorrect ratio does not work!

Check with Fairview Marine..... the older OMCs are one of their specialties.
[email protected] or 503-492-4608 ..... ask to speak with Brad!

If you love the boat and plan to keep it, have you considered in-filling the transom, and installing a stern drive system?

400 and 800 series drives were introduced in 1978 and were not electric shift. 400 and 800 units had different gear ratios and propeller splines (13T=400, 15T=800)

All 1974-77 electric shift OMC sterndrives used the same lower unit regardless of engine (4/6/V8 all same part number lower)
upper ratios were specific to HP in 1976, and there were two different upper gearcase lengths (hi profile, and low profile)
Trucourse steering was an option in 1976 so keep that in mind

that info might help you in your search for used stuff.

Last edited:
Hystat, I believe you have answered my question and helped me out tremendously. My upper gearcase worke perfectly but the lower gear case had the wires for the electric magnets wrap up in the outdrive gears. I have one that came off a v8 that is also electric shift. So if I use my upper gearcase with the v8 lower electronic gearcase then every thing will still be right for my 4 cyl correct? If so then this has saved me alot of time and money.

Back