Logo

what outdrive can be installed

smsquires

Hello i have a 1979 bayliner and Im not sure of the outdrive but that may be irrelevant to my question.. I would like to know what outdrive could i upgrade to that would connect to my 350 with no modification. I dont know much when it comes to the outdrives so would this even be worth it or should I just have mine rebuilt. Basically what would be most cost effective for me. Like I said I am not sure what I have bc there is no markings on it but I would assume a Stringer full mechanical. Thank you for any intell you may bring.

In 1979, and if OMC, this would be a Stringer Drive.
The transom cut-out would require rebuilding and made smaller for ANY other drive system.
I'd not spend any money on a Stringer Drive!

So..... for any upgrade to occur (whether OMC Cobra, Merc or Vovlo Penta), you're looking at a transom "In-Fill" in order to make this structural for an I/O.

You would not be the first to have done this.
If the boat itself is worth saving, it's nothing more than mechanical work, carpentry work, and with some fiberglass work in with it.

Last edited:
Thank you Rick I appriciate your input as you definatly know more than me on the topic. Im still far away from this stage just trying to get my "plan" together now. Ill probably just run what i have until it doesnt run anymore. It ran fine when the boat was last taken out and to be honest i would rather keep it all orginal. Thanks again

Here are a few other thoughts!

1.... The stringer drive parts will still sell these days because (just as with you) not many are willing to go to the trouble of changing to a "stern drive".
This can always offset the cost of a conversion to a stern drive.

2.... Stringer Drive boats are very difficult to sell. They are problematic! Not many want an old OMC drive, let alone a Stringer Drive.

3.... With an AQ series Volvo Penta, or even a Merc A drive, these boats are much more prone to selling.

4... If you went with the V/P, you can eliminate the ESA and/or the SI.... and have the good ole cone clutch type engagement.

However, I certainly understand the logic behind just runing it.... and seeing how it goes!

Back