Logo

Pulsar coil for honda BL100L.

Kim Heron

Hi. I have taken my honda BL100L-170316 four stroke CDI outboard to thy official honda repair place. They say that the problem is with the pulsar coil, and because it is an old engine, they no longer make this part. If I find a used part they are happy to fit it. Does anybody know where I can source one or if there is another part that would suffice? Thanks. Kim

Here is something to try if you fail to find the part....
It is also an opportunity for everyone else on the forum to say...is he nuts!?

If the dealer has a BF8A (otherwise known as the "classic 8") or at least the pulser coil
(30310-881-A01) from one laying around....costs about $43...

Install it on youy B100 and connect it temporarily with jumper wires. As far as I can tell....the only difference between the two coils is the connector on the end of the wire. Once you are sure it works ok, cut off the connector and put two bullet connectors on the end of the wires to match up with the ones on the cdi unit.

I am stating it this way because, I got a call a couple of years ago from someone is Chicago, who I think, had a B100 with the same issue. I had a used one laying around and just happened to have a B100 in for service. Physical size, resistances, etc were both the same. The customer was willing to try it. He called back a week later and said that it worked.

I just can not guarantee that I am remembering it correctly. If the motor is in good shape, to me, it would be worth the gamble, even if I had to buy it new.

I do not have any more used ones around, otherwise, I would send it to you to try.

Just something to keep in your back pocket.

Mike

Back