Logo

1991 4.3 OMC Cobra starting problem

packinjack

I have a 1991 4.3 OMC COBRA motor, when I am getting ready to go out I usually fire it up in the driveway, now I hook up the flusher and garden hose, and it starts right up no problem, shut it off and restarts right away. Now I tow it 15 min. down the road, put it in the water, turned it over and it won't start, I tried spraying a shot of ether in the carb with no luck. Pulled it out, came home and the next morning hook it up to the hose started again right away with no problem. Ran it for about 15 min. shut it off and restarted right away. Then let it sit for about a half hour and tried it again this time it would just crank but not start. Next morning hook it up to the hose started again right away with no problem. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

Maybe a wire that is loose when you lower the drive into the water ? Do you have to lower the drive start it up on the trailer before you leave....When did this start to happen. Did you do anyhting different before ?

so what are you missing, spark or fuel ?

When it won;t start pull a spark plug wire off and place a spare plug in and hold it to the block see a spark you knopw it's a fuel problem post back and we can go from there.

My son had a pickup that did that. I turned out to be the pickup in the distributer. Next time it does this pull the distributer cap off turn the ignition on and take a small screw driver and move the wires in the distributer around a little, if you hear a clicking as you prob them than that is your problem.

Back