Logo

Honda 40hp flushing issue

bayoutrash

Just bought a 2001 Honda 40hp, I bought the flushing tool that screws into the lower unit. It doesn't seem to be doing anything and started the engine for a 30 seconds when it didn't peep water I shut it off.

Is there any other way to flush this its on a lift and screwing in the flushing unit should be on You Tube.

I bought one of these as well. Sadly, it didn't seem to push water through the engine - so I'm not clear what function it supports. I'm planning on running in a barrel to properly flush the engine after running in salt. Really was hoping this would work differently. For sure, don't try to run the engine on it!

Check page 77 of this owner's manual. http://marine.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31ZW3601.pdf It may not be your exact year, but the flush port is the same. Unfortunately, the instructions are not very good.

If you are going to do it with the adapter...you have to seal up the two water intakes on each side of the lower unit and the one that you can not see just above the propeller on the underside of the cavitation plate.

Personally, I do not like this method and can not really recommend it.

Running it in a barrel is ok if you keep putting in fresh water. Be sure to take off the prop. It still may suck in the exhaust bubbles and eventually overheat...so watch it carefully.

An alternative is to use round rabbit ear flushers over the two lower intakes. Tape the intake over the prop with duct tape so that is does not suck air. BE SURE THE RABBIT EARS ARE TIGHT...AND WATCH THEM CLOSELY. They tend to work their way off if run for very long.

Hope I did not make things more confusing...

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the insight, probably didn't explain myself that well. The boat is on a lift when I flush it, so the barrel option is a no go, trying to screw the hose adapter from 3 ft away almost put me in the drink. I can only imagine after a day of fishing and a few lite's it is a recipe for man over board.

But thanks for the manual pages it just tells me i did it right and it is probably not a great design to say the least.

Ken

Back