Logo

2004 Honda BF75A overheating

I have been having an overheating problem with my engine for the last year or more. The engine otherwise runs great. 700 hours on the engine. Good idle, good throttle up, 26-28 mph @ WOT 5000 rpm. The engine will run fine for about 2-3 miles and then the over heat alarm will sound and the engine will shut down to idle speed. Cruise at idle speed for about 3-5 minutes and then throttle up again fine. A few more miles and then repeat the process. Have replaced: impeller, thermostat, heat sensor, relief valve, flush valve, spark plugs. I have had our local Honda Dealer take the engine apart and acid wash the water jacket. That worked for several months and then the problem began again. I flush the engine after every use and also flush a 2nd and 3rd time with SaltAway. The problem seems to be getting worse every time we take it out in salt water and the rpm level when it starts to overheat is getting lower down to the point where it was overheating at 3800 rpm this past weekend. Can't afford to spend another $1800 to have the engine taken apart and acid washed. Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone know if Honda Motors has put out a recall or notification about this problem?

Thanks...Tad

Back