Logo

OMC 7.5L 460 Impeller Issue / Impeller shaft

sslagh

I have a 460 OMC that the impeller shaft ( 0984264 BRP # ) is too short , ie : pressed into U joint carrier , and the impeller is coming off shaft only under high RPM conditions.

To get a shaft that is the correct length to hold the impeller in place , what BRP parts would I need to buy ? Is there a way to pull the incorrect length shaft back out of whatever it is press fit into ? Would it be advisable to replace the entire u-Joint and water pump shaft ?

Also , I have gear lube getting past the seals and into the water passages in the impeller area, any ideas what orings/ gaskets or whatever would fix this issue?

This boat has a "mid level" king cobra drive that uses a lot of the standard cobra LU / Sterndrive parts . BRP shows the u joint shaft as avaialble for this year / sterndrive/ motor combination, OMC 1988 7.5 L 754BPRGDP .

From what I understand ( manual) .... This is a pretty unsual situation for the impeller drive shaft end of this part to be pushed or pressed into the u joint section ( carrier? ) . I had the u joint replaced a year or so ago, and have not had trouble with the impeller " falling off" because of this shortened shaft until now ????

Can the stub & water pump shaft ( # 37) be used to reassemble to the rest of the u joint shaft or do I need a new U joint shaft complete ? #34

You got the flat top or bubble top drive makes a big difference, in the King Cobra.

Just for the record, the parts diagrams might not be very accurate. Not saying this site is not, i have found this site.... the people who sell parts here knows there stuff better then most.

Back