Logo

Small Honda Outboard Problem

bhemp5

I have a honda outboard engine. Had it in storage for one year where it was shrink wrapped. Had storage facility prep engine before i picked it up. Yesterday, took it out, ran great and gradually over the course of the day, gave it full throttle. As we neared dock, engine started making clicking sound, so i turned off engine and then dragged boat in (it was only three feet, boat only draws 1 foot, so we were not hitting ground). I let it rest overnight and then tried to start it this morning. Would not start unless i put engine in nuetral and fully juiced engine. when i throttled down to regular rpm, it would stall. Can someone help me? My father is coming to use this boat(his), after a long year, mom had stroke. I really want him to enjoy the boat during his three day trip. We are located on eastern shore of Va, and there are few if not any local mechanics, that i know of. Any help woild be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Where are you on the eastern shore of Virginia? There are several very reputable Honda outboard shops in this area. What size and model of Honda?

In the mean time, there are a few things you can check. First & foremost, were you using fresh fuel? If not, do so. Secondly, change your fuel filter(s). Third, change your spark plugs. If you post the size/model of the engine, there are several folks on this forum that can help you out.

You didn't give us much to work with. As chawk_man says, give us the model/size of the outboard. Also, have you done some basic checks like oil level and does anything look "out of place" under the cowl?

If the outboard is water cooled, does it have a steady pee stream from the tell tale when it is running?

Chawk is also right on with having you make sure the fuel is fresh. Make sure your fuel line primer bulb stays hard and check it/squeeze it when the motor is acting up. Make sure your fuel tank vent is open and clear. Drain your carburetor bowl if it has a drain screw and you haven't done so already.

That clicking sound could be a spark plug wire that has come loose and the spark is trying to jump. So, checking/changing the plugs is also good advice. NAPA auto parts stores usually have a cross reference chart for Honda and can help you find replacement plugs if you don't have access to a Honda shop. These engines seem to prefer the NGK plugs so use them if you can. You could try running the engine in the dark or under a cover with the hood off to see if there are any sparks from the ignition system which would indicate a problem.

Get back to us with an update.

Back