Logo

Changing oil in the intermediate.

Grew194

I have a 1974 electric shift and a 190 hp Ford 302. I want to change the oil in the intermediate but I can not find any drain hole. I seem to remember reading somewhere that some older ones had no drain hole. Do I just pump it out with the little pump I have for filling the upper and lower? How do I make sure I got all of the old oil out? How much goes back in? Thanks.

Some had a plug right below the ball gear,most did not.I never changed the intermediate oil and have worked on the for 20+ years.check the level,It should be up to the plug and go on to the next.I also never had to service one.
If you need to change the oil,Suck it as best as you can.I would let sleeping dogs lie.

[FONT=arial,hevetica][FONT=arial,hevetica] Engine manufacturers typically recommend an oil change every 100 hours, and at least once a year. Even if your engine manual allows for a longer interval between oil changes, changing the oil more often will extend the life of the engine. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,hevetica] One hundred engine hours between oil changes is fine for gasoline engines, but diesel engines are much harder on their lubrication. You should change the oil in a diesel engine about every 50 hours. The shorter interval is especially important for sailors who use their engines for only an hour or two per outing. Dirty oil sitting idle becomes destructive to the internal surfaces of the engine. If your boat will be idle for a while-over the winter, for example-it is imperative to remove the contaminated oil and fill the engine with clean oil. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,hevetica] Unfortunately regular oil changes are more often the exception rather than the rule, mainly because changing the oil in a boat engine can be a difficult and messy job. While it takes only a minute to drain the oil from an automobile engine, the oil drain plug in a boat is most often either out of reach or non-existent. And even where the plug is accessible, there is usually inadequate space beneath the engine for a container to catch the draining oil. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,hevetica] The trick to hassle-free oil changing is to find a method that works for your engine installation. Here are some possibilities.

[/FONT]above ground pools And above ground swimming pools

[/FONT]

Back