Logo

1984 omc Sterndrive-stringer, need help

Kikibear097

I was out on the lake and put her in gear and she startedI increase the throttle and pop, dead stop and it was in netrual. Was pulled back to the dock and she has a whining, noise in her and the prop will not move when the engine is running, I can put it in forward and reverse and she moves to the right in forward and to the left in reverse (only direction she will move) and the prop spins freely in netural. I looked at my ball gears, I am replacing them, I had water in my units,so they have be drained and I am replacing the seal. It calls for 48 oz of oil in both and I only pulled out 32 total from both. When I pulled my ball gears I got oil, so I believe this is a start of my water problem. My question is has anyone had a similar problem or might know whats wrong? Thanks

Well I got her back running, it was the water pump shaft that was sheared. Also picked up a rebuilt lower unit with 100 hours on it for $200 dollars so I have a back up lower unit and cables along with 3 upper gear cases. I replaced the ball gears, upper seals and changed all the oil in the boat. I am taken her out tomorrow for a test run.

Yes, I replaced the ball gears and then after reading some of your replies to other questions, I was able to pull the outdrive, seperate them and found the water pump shaft gone(what you sugestedin another thread) and replace it, put it all back together and now the motor goes up higher when before and I have a little gear oil leak from the ball gear on the upper, could I have overfilled it and it is leaking out around the seals? or should I take it apart and reseal the oil seals?

Back