Logo

BF130 hesitating

firnatine

I have a 2000 BF130. I was pulling the kids on a tube.The motor is hesitating (like its running on 3 cylinders) for several minutes reving only to 3100. After a while it would start "kicking in" intermitantly and more frequently until it would run full throttle. As soon as I would go back to idle or shut the motor off. The process would start again. While I was on the water, I checked the plugs. They were fine and consistant looking. The internal separator indicated no water. I drained the high pressure fuel body and the main filter/seperator along with the internal fist fuel filter only have about 100 gallons run through it. In the life of the motor this the first time I've experienced it. I have the shop manual and maintain the motor as specified. Any suggestions?

Could be spark issue or fuel issue...

Did you change the high pressure fuel filter in the vapor separator? I am not sure if you meant the "main filter/separator" was the high pressure filter or the on board water separator next to the low pressure filter.

Be sure to check all fuel lines to be sure they are not sucking air.

If you can...run the motor on a separate 6 gallon tank to see if that makes a difference.

Change the spark plugs if they have not been changed for a while. The most common answer to runability problems with the 130's are bad spark plugs or bad fuel.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the reply

The filter I was writing of was my 1st stage filter/separator mounted on the bulkhead. That's a good question about the filter inside the vapor separator. I had a recall notice and repair about 2005. They put in a completely different high pressure pump / vapor separator unit. There's no reference to it in my shop manual. The only filter I see appears to be a small inline air filter above the unit. If it is the case that there is a filter inside, would you have more information about it, its location, and replacement?

I believe the plugs are fine. I use the boat motor than 100hrs a year. Every season, I do a complete maintenance: Oil & filter, foot oil, complete lube, new fuel filters/separators, drain the vapor separator, adjust the valves, new plugs, etc.

Jeffrey

Thanks again Mike.

I've inspected the fuel from each of the filters and separators. I found a bit of debris and a tiny bit of H2O. I also found white powdery corrosion on the metal sealing surface of my gross filter/separator (the one on my bulkhead). It could have been sucking air from there. I've replaced all the filters except for the High Pressure. That one I used a can of carb cleaner to flush out and re-installed. I have to say it was pretty nasty. Unfortunately, I no longer have a Honda marine dealer in the area to run out and get a replacement. Could you recommend an online source for parts?

Jeffrey

OK, Mike

I took the boat out. From the first start up and running planed up for 20 minutes it was fine. When I slowed to an idle it acted up again. It seemed to be running on 3 cylinders. I believe it might be a bad or clogged injector. Here's why. Tell me what you think. First, I have a fuel meter. At full throttle, I burn about 12gmh. During this trouble, the max it would flow was about 8gmh (one fourth less). Second, at Idle speed I disconnected each spark plug, one at a time. I found that it was the #1 cylinder not performing. I got a good spark from the plug boot to ground. So I don't think its electrical. The motor still tries to run and smooths out briefly. Do you think this would be a clogged injector or a faulty one? If you think its clogged is there a preferred way to clean it?

Thanks again for your help,
Jeffrey

It is possible that you have a clogged injector...but I think you said it ran ok at high speeds, but missed at idle. More on that later.

I would go back to the spark plugs. Either replace #1 or at least switch it with another plug and see it the problem follows the spark plug. If so, then it is a bad spark plug.

If not the spark plug and it is failing all the time...then maybe back to the injector...
I am a little concerned that you used carb cleaner to clean the high pressure filter. It is made of paper and carb cleaner may cause it to deteriorate. Possibly some of its pieces got lodged in the injector. If so, it is probably not the only injector that will have a problem.

You might get lucky by removing the injectors and cleaning the screens of debris...if that is the problem. If it is, then you will have to take out the high pressure filter and flush the system.

Hopefully, it is just a bad spark plug.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I'll try the cheep fix and put in another plug. But to clarify, It ran fine from start up (cold) 20 minutes at a cruise speed. When I slowed, that's when it acted up. From then on, it appeared to be running on 3 cylinders at any speed with intermittent bursts of full power.

Wouldn't I be pushing the same amount of fuel through the system if it was a bad Plug? I was burning 8gph vs. 12gph at normal operation (wide open). The 25% drop in fuel consumption is what was leading me to the injector. Further, I think it might be an bad injector vs. clogged because the motor "tries" intermittently to come back to normal operation. Wouldn't a clogged injector act consistent?

What do you think
Jeffrey

Good points! Everything that you are saying makes sense.

I assume you have already checked the injector electrical connections for corrosion.

Also, check the connections at the ECM.

If it is an injector issue, either it is the injector itself or an intermittant signal to operate it.

Mike

OK Mike,

Never doubt you or Honda engineering. Do the easy, less time consuming, less expensive option first. I convinced myself that it was an injector issue. In my driveway, I checked the connections at each injector and ECM. I removed and cleaned each injector individually. ( I build my own contraption with a 9v battery to activate the injector; replace all the internal fuel filters and hoses with no improvement after the motor warmed up. Then I changed the $2.43 spark plug. Guess what worked? Yup, the $2.43 spark plug. I should have listened to you in the first post........Go for easy first......I let you know if it runs right the next time I'm on the water.

Thanks again,
Jeffrey

Easy is good! I can not explain it, but these engines are great engines, but if the fuel or the spark plugs are not the quality that it is looking for...it will not run.

I spent several hours checking out one that I did every test to. It would start for 2 seconds then stop. No codes. Fuel looked and smelled good. Changed plugs, etc etc etc. But failed to follow the basic rules of using the shop tank with known good fuel. Once I flushed out the old fuel, the motor purred like a kitten. Go figure.

Glad your up and running. Think of what we all learned, though.

Thanks for the exercise.

Mike

Mike,

I had the boat out yesterday. The motor purred like a kitten. No problems cruising, idling, or pulling the kids on the boards. I was thinking my next step was the boat shop. You helped me save a bunch of $$$.

Thanks again
Jeffrey

Hi,
I've been "bit" on the spark plug thing also.....They look good by all past convention, but don't hesitate,,change the plug on cyl .in question first ,second a portable tank w/ known fuel/then a different harness[sometimes]/ then all vital signs.
More often than not you'll snag the issue early on.

Back