Logo

8hp BF8A 1997 with symptoms of a spun prop...

seanderson

So it seems like I have a spun prop. power at low throttle, then when throttle is increased the thrust decreases and the rpms rev high.

I marked the outer part of the prop, the inner part and the axle. And did a test, the outer marking was off of the inner and axle markings (inner marking was hard to tell as it was faded but I believe that the mark is still inline with the axle). Also not that the shear pin appears ok.

So I called to get a quote on a new prop and one parts guy says that you cant not spin the prop on that model as it has a shear pin.

Is this correct? What else would cause a spun prop sympton on a 8hp outboard?

thanks.

Sounds like it to me. Like my truck when the clutch went out. Be sure to inspect the prop shaft splines for signs of damage. By the way, shear pins can break. I've seen it on everything from an ancient 2hp Johnson to a Mercruiser stern drive. Always keep a couple shear pins and a set of needle nose pliers in the boat or your tackle box. Can make the difference between a tow (or ROWING). Tis prudent to know your engine inside and out. Learn it all. Carry a few parts and the tools to install them. Nothing more empowering than being able to do the work and get it going again.

Did you actually take the pin out and hold it in your hand? If it's not a broken shear pin then it has to be the prop.

I agree with JGMO. Check to see if the shear pin is broken and if not, it has to be the prop. Take a look at the shaft.

Edit: duh - it's been a long time, shear pin shafts are smooth, no splines.

Last edited:
Back