Logo

'67 sea ray w/'78 chevy 305 choke / carb issues

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
first of all id like to thank the chief , hystat , and all the other fellas that helped me get this old barge afloat again... i recently took it to the lake and posted a question on fuel consumption. at that time i had the wife and kids aboard and had to drive the boat and couldnt really do much investigation. this time i took it to the bay with my fishin buddy and had him steer while i pulled the engine cover . I discovered that the choke system is malfunctioning and sticking wide open so when you attempt to power up its sucking major air and wont run worth a crap..i could only get around 6-8 knots before it would be chokin and pukin. my question is is it worth having a mechanic fix and or rebuild this car or should i just buy a new one?thanx in advance...dimitri...p.s. bye the way my son hooked and landed the first fish in the boat...a tasty halibut...made dad real proud

the choke should be wide open in September in California.

Check fuel pressure to the carb. sounds more like a fuel delivery or ignition problem.

Carbs suck air like a vacuum cleaner.

When running on the water you should shoot the base of the carb with carb clear and see if it runs different maybe your sucking air in from the wrong places.

You will hear the motor run different.

Fuel pump should be giving you 4-7 psi.

ok at 1/2 throttle she was choking and puking...when i removed the flame arrestor i pushed the metal flapper dealio on top of the carb 3/4 closed and she took off like a rocket...when let go back to open...chokin and pukin ...push 3/4 closed ...off we go ??? im not real hip on carbs...obviously....fuel pump brand new , new fuel lines ..fuel separator , tank cleaned ...no crap or rust in it...thanx for the reply chief....dimitri

when you pushed the choke closed manually, you created huge vacuum, which helped pull fuel into the carb. But then you were starving it for air and you will eventually damage valves if you continue to run with a closed choke for extended periods of time. .
Sounds like you have a fuel delivery issue- carb jet issue, weak pump, clogged filter or anti siphon etc.
or a vacuum leak somewhere.

maybe the t-stat is stuck half closed. Maybe the risers are half clogged.

And the adjustment screw or screws on the side of the carb are set where.

All the way in the the screw gently do not bend the tip. And out 1 1/2 turns to 2 turns to start and final adjustment on the water.

190 ok.
as accurate as dash gauges usually are, it wouldn't concern me too much.
I'd verify the temp with an infrared on the thermo hsg. I might try a lower stat after temp is verified with a tool.

Back