Logo

Honda BF150 is "making oil"---what to look for?

marketic

Contributing Member
Changed oil and filter at 400 hrs. Oil registered approx 1/8 " below top hatch mark on dip stick. Also changed out both T-stats and all fuel filters in preparation for a 4 day fishing trip. I was out in open ocean with huge swells so I spent 4 days operating the BF150 at 3,000- 3,700 RPM's. I ran it for approx. 10 hours in that range

Got home, checked dip stick--- oil is way over the top hatch mark (about 1 inch over)

What should I be checking on? Is this a common thing for the Honda BF150? I used to have a Yamaha F150 and when that happened I swapped out the T-stat and it never happened again. I just changed T-stats on the Honda so I'm left scratching my head.

thanks for any and all ideas on what I can do to address this

Did you put the right thermostat in the right place? There are two different temperature thermostats used on the 150's. 50 deg C in head...60 deg C in block.

Also, using synthetic oil could cause your "making oil problem". Should not use sythetic oil.

Mike

hey Mike

I made double sure/triple sure I got the T-stats in the correct water ports. I only use Honda 4-stroke oil
thanks

To answer one of your first questions...this is not common with the 135 or 150.

Not sure what to say at this point.

When I come accross this, the first thing I ask myself, if we have serviced the engine previously...did we overfill the oil in the first place? If we can not smell any fuel smell or if it does not look thinned out, we will either change the oil or just suck some out...depending on the time and hours since the last service.

If the oil is being increased by fuel getting into it...and

-the thermostats are good and in the right spot
-the spark plugs are good and burning good. Should be changed at 400 hours or sooner.
-there are no codes or the HDS does not indicate any temp sensor out of range or close to out of range

Then it is time for a compression test and a leak down test. At the same time...checking the spark plugs.
If the leakdown test shows leaking past the rings, a intensive decarbonization treatment is in order. That might solve the problem...if that is the problem.

That is just a few thoughts...

Hopefully, someone else that had a similar issue will jump in and share their experience.

Mike

Thanks for the comments, Mike. Just changed the plugs at 400 hrs.
T-stats: Although I'm pretty sure I got the T-stats in the correct ports, I've decided to pull off the cover and sacrifice a gasket just to make sure I wasn't asleep at the wheel during the change-out.

Just changed the oil so I'll pull some back out and watch the level real close.

used to own a Yamaha: lots of talk about 115's and 150's making oil. Nice to know this is not a common thing with Hondas

hey Mike

Quick question: I'm starting to think that the only way to get a true and proper oil level check in the BF150 is to pull the dip stick only after running the engine, and only when the engine has remained in a vertical position since it was run.

If the engine is tilted for trailering, then returned to a vertical position, my experience has been that in this circumstance, one cannot get a proper oil level check.

I'm guessing that once the engine is tilted, oil spills out of the filter back into the oil pan. If the engine is then placed in vertical position for an oil levedl check, one gets an abnormally high reading ---am I even close on this or dreaming?

I'm still not convinced my BF150 is not "making oil" ---if I check immediately after running I sure get a different reading then if she's shut down, tilted for trailering, returned to the vertical position, then dip -stick checked.

I'm new to Honda--still feeling out the territory . Would really appreciate your comment on this

thanks!

I can not say for sure if the oil is draining from the filter, the chain case or some place else...or all the above. You should let it sit vertically for at least a few minutes after you run it...then check the oil

Probably, the best thing to do is just be consistant in the procedure that you use to measure it. In any case, try to keep it a little below full. That way, at least you are measuring it the same way.

Not a very scientific answer but it is the best I have.

Hopefully, others will jump in and share their methods.

Mike

Funny, I just changed my 150's oil, hours this change were 300. I decided to not preheat the motors. Motors have not been run in 8 weeks. When I wnt to pull the oil filters, both filters were nearly empty! Even turned upside down, zero oil. Now, not to sy, they hadn't had oil in them, just clear that factory blue filters do not hold oil.

Thoughts?

Had the same problem with a 45 Honda. Removed dip stick & oil shot out the top of the dip stick hole about 1 inch. Engine oil was being deluted with unburned fuel because engine was running way to cold (Duck hunting in winter) because of broken THERMOSTAT. Honda sent out a warning sheet about oil dilution caused by cold running-I don't remember the sheet # ! Hondas sold in cold climates (Canada, etc have hotter running thermostats because of this problem. Regards, AB

I have had the same overfill problem with my 150. What I found that works is raise the engine after warming it up then lower and drain. Refill with six quarts then run the engine, stop raise the engine let the oil drain down then lower engine and check the oil. My Honda is always low and I add small amounts until its close to full. Always raising and lowering the engine between checking. The engine must hold around a quart of oil that doesn't drain unless the engine is raised then lowered. Works for me

Tom

Back