Logo

Tachometer troubleshooting

Stillwater

BF50 the tach is not working doesn't even budge when key is turned on. Battery is charging nicely. I have power at the tach, 12 volt input, ground is working, lights in tach work. There is continuity with the grey wire between the motor and tach. Is there a way to test the grey wire to read if I'm getting pulses before I order up a new tach. The tach appears to be stock Honda HP-0243-001. There is no provision for changing pole setting.
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

It appears no one wants to answer this. I give it a try...sortof...

Generally, if this occurs to me, I just put a test tach in the circuit and check it that way. I am not sure what the tach signal really looks like from the BF50. It is a little different than most other engines, including other Hondas.

In any case, I found a link to Faria's website that goes through tachometer troubleshooting. The tach that you have is not a Faria, but the signal going to it will work on a Faria...so the process should be close if not the same.

Hope this helps. http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0100_Tachometers.pdf

Mike

Thanks for that Mike, I've been away a few days, just got back. The link gives me a couple of things try. I need to just simply get my hands on a test tach which seems to be easier said than done!

Back