Logo

85' omc 3.8l stern drive steering problem...

Txboyesr

Boat wont steer when put under a load from 1500-3000 rpm to the right but has full motion to the left. In a no wake zone there is full motion of steering left and right. but when throttled up it will only turn to the left. The boat as the tru-course steering. where do i start to fix this!

It does not have power steering, it has the tru- course steering it is a cable system. Im thinking it has something to do with the outdrive part. Any clue?

Just for giggles you running this drive up or fully down ?

See you never, ever, never run it anywhere but fully down ever ?

Oh yea i knew it was a cable rotary.

I happen to have the last of the stringers, a 85' in a 86' boat.

This will be my last question to you before i give an opinion.

You have a manual ?

trim-tab.gif

I put the prop fully down. Although 1 time i had a buddy of mine start the boat while i pulled the trailer out. He started the boat in neutral if the prop still up! don't think that could do anything.

I do not have a manual except for the one that came with the boat ( Owners operators Manual ). Doesn't help to much. i looked on amazon but read mixed reviews with the selon omc manuals. Anything you can recommend? got a website?

My uncle gave me this boat last year when he got diagnosed he told me it was the greastest day of his life giving me the boat haha! but it ran like a dream for a whole year till this year i take it out and it doesn't steer!

Hystat posted the trim tab adjustment diagrams. I beleive i removed the trim tab fin ( id have to take a look ) in order to install a easy troll trolling plate. i wonder if i need to put the trim tab back??

I'm a retard when it comes to boats, but i did replace the tilt motor on my own!

Thank you for all your help!

I beleive i removed the trim tab fin ( id have to take a look ) in order to install a easy troll trolling plate. i wonder if i need to put the trim tab back??

ya think?? :)

an 800 with manual steering and no trim tab = scary and dangerous.

not to mention the fasteners that hold the tab on also help hold the lower unit on...

Back