Logo

Intermittent no-start

swimb8

Help. I have a BF50 that has gradually gone from an occasional problem starting (nothing when you turn the key except guages light up - no turnover) to now it I can't get it started again at all. The problem has developed over a couple months - probably over 6 or 8 trips. At first I'd just keep turning the key a bunch of times and eventually all of a sudden it would start completely normally. I have replaced the solenoid and the starter motor - no change. Hooked it up to two different good batteries - no change. All the connections at the battery and motor look good to me. Could it be in the ignition harness? I don't know what the heck. I have twin outboards so I was thinking I could just start going through switching things from side to side to run it down.

Thanks for any ideas -much appreciated!

Paul

Last edited:
First thing I would do is bypass the kill switch to see if that fixes the problem. On that engine, I believe it is a simple disconnect.

Hi, I don't knowanything about your set up. But, In addition to your kill switch (for killing your motors briefly while shifting) you might have a neutral safety switch, which is a nuisance, and is there to prevent you from starting in gear.
When both those micro switches get old together, the engine can have a hard time starting.

If "jiggling" the gear shift sometimes helps, that's a sign of it. Pal

Thanks for the input - I'll try the kill switch bypass -sounds basic. I have a dual throttle setup with corresponding small panels down below on the console for the ignition/kill switches. On the throttle panel there's a statment (from Honda) saying something like the panel doesn't have a neutral safety switch in it - instead Honda builds it into the motor. Looking atthe manual I think the neutral aswitch is down nbelow the starter motor in the front of the engine - sound about right (BF50).

Also, anyone have any idea abouyt how I can flush my motor if I can't get it started disabling the switch(es) above? I just got back from an ocean trip and just wanted to rinse it out as best I can in case I need to wait a week to take it in to the mechanic.

Thank you for your help guys.

Paul

Fixed! Thanks for the advice - traced it down to the neutral safety switch which had simply a bad (kinked) wire. Going fishing again!

Back