Logo

Boats.net

I ordered some part thru BOATS.NET and it turned into a exercise in frustration. After I placed the order I got the usual request for payment as well as a request for payment of freight. I thought good, the parts are on the way. 6 weeks later I kept getting notifications on a weekly basis that the estimated shipping date would be the following week. Even though they have a 20% restocking charge I finally gave up and cancelled my order. Their restocking charge is on the items they supposedly have received in their warehouse but before shipping out to me. What I find misleading is the amount of time they where taking to get my order together plus charging me for freight within a couple of days of placing the order. These parts I would not consider difficult. It was camshaft and rocker arms for a BF50. The cam supposedly had arrived at their facility but they where still waiting for the rocker arms. The same rocker fits the BF40 as well as the BF50 and for at least ten years so I'm not sure why the delay. One thing does come to mind with the 20% restocking charge I'm not sure they care whether they ever get the parts and just out wait the customer so they will cancel.
What have other peoples experience been I know you can't beat their prices if they ever intend on shipping is another question.
They where prompt in refunding less 20% but that don't get my engine running.

I hope others will chime in with their experiences with boats.net. Good or bad.

I recently found a mistake that they had made on their model listings for pre 1997 outboards. I contacted the customer service and got completely blown off by the representative. I escalated by requesting a supervisor and, after spending (wasting) my time thoroughly explaining their web page error, an error that will COST THEM SALES, he eventually chose to ignore me too.

I thought "hmmm, if this is how you get treated when you are trying to HELP them, I wonder what would happen if you actually have a problem?" Unfortunately, you may have just answered my question.

It looks as if something there may have changed recently (management?) that might not be too good for customers.

As far as their prices being "unbeatable",...maybe not if you can't really access the parts.

Where are you taking your business?

Hi chawk-man,

Well, I guess if you get them at all, that accounts for something.

I haven't purchased anything there for months as I have been laid up and had surgery. But, I am sort of depending on that service being there to support a little business I have of buying, fixing and then reselling old Honda's. It would be a shame if it were to go away. Both for me AND those old bullet proof B's. There's still a lot of small lake fishin' left in most of those old 7.5's and 10's.

By contrast to both your and Stillwater's recent experiences with boats.net, I just ordered auto parts for an "extinct" model line from a .com supplier of refurbished old car parts. They took my order on Friday, for a fairly obscure component, and I just got shipping confirmation this morning. All on a three day holiday weekend no less! Now THAT'S service!

Keep them 225's churnin' Chawk!

Last edited:
Jimmy - Have a quick recovery and I hope it's not serious. You're right about the older 7.5's and 10's. I continue to be amazed about how many of those I see being used as kickers and as axuillary power on sail boats around here. Rebuilding those should be a good business.

As for boats.net, I screwed up and got them mixed up with another supplier. I went back and re-checked the order. I ordered the item on 8/7/10 and they shipped on 8/13/10. So my original post was in error. I had them mixed up with another online seller.

Thanks chawk-man for the well wishes and also for the clarification. Do you remember the on-line supplier that was so slow?
Cheers,
jimmyd

hey Jimmy--I hope you're on the mend and get back in the saddle soon!

Regarding Boats.net---I have to chime in here. I've used them to order parts to re-build old beat up Yamaha 2-strokes for about 5 years now. Recently, I've used them to support my parts habit for a Honda BF150 and a 9.9

In all cases, I would have to say they were as good as it gets for internet business. It was basically point and click and the parts arrived in 4-5 days, and in all instances, the parts were correct. When I found the parts were not needed (and I had ordered incorrectly) they issued a credit almost immediately. I recommend them to anyone I know who needs marine parts

I should also say that a camshaft and rocker arms is a bit different then an "O" ring and a T-stat. Sorry to hear you had a crumby experience with the more costly heavier items.

Did you call them? Anytime I had a screw-up (usually my fault) I called them, got hold of a human being, and the problem was ironed out.

based on your comments, I'm willing to bet that if you explained your situation to a human being, you'd get that 20% re-stocking fee back in your pocket!

Maretic, I did not talk to a human being but used their "chat" line. You make a good point to phone them directly. It's harder to brush off a customer when you are talking to them directly. I also wondered if Honda was an "off brand" to Boats.net and that's why the delays. It just seemed to be never ending. Checking on the internet before ordering there are several reviews some good some not so good, but being the optimist I am I thought I'd try. Being a Canuck we are used to slow, indifferent service and I've always been impressed and had real good success ordering in the US. You guys just don't put up with bad service.

hey Stillwater, no way Honda is not an "off-brand" to these guys. Call the 1-800 number and explain your situation. getting 20% back in your pocket should take the bad taste out of your mouth

marketic,
Yes, I would agree that calling might be the thing to do. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how well they treated you and for the tip. Thanks also for the well wishes. Much appreciated. My faith in Western Medicine has been restored.

Back