Logo

Thinking about buying a 2003 Honda 9.9...

PB Showcase

No water flow to the top end and it will not switch into reverse.

Any thing I should know? Any problems that are notorious about this style motor?

The water is not exiting the exhaust tube in the back of the motor and is heating up rather quickly.

When I try to put in reverse you can hear the transmission trying but it is almost like there is a safety stopping it or the linkage is set wrong. It goes into forward just fine. I am trying this as it is set on a sawhorse and the lower end is in a bucket. I have a friend with an older Nissan and I know he has to spin the motor a bit for the tranny to switch. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!!

The water level should be a couple of inches over the water pump. The water pump in located at the top of the lower unit as seen in this picture. Otherwise, it will overheat.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2003/BF9.9D3%20SHA%20VIN%23%20BABJ-1200001%20TO%20BABJ-1299999/GEAR%20CASE%20ASSY./parts.html

The previous posts are right on about the shifting. It could be that the shift adjustment is out. If someone just changed the water pump, they may not have connected the shift shaft properly.

Mike

These are BEAUTIFULLY running motors if taken care of properly.

As all have said, engine running or prop turned by hand to shift gears. If the engine is running, from the neutral position, the shift should be done with a swift and firm pull/push on the shift lever to quickly engage the desired direction. Slowly engaging the gears will prematurely wear the clutch dogs in the transmission. Might just need an adjustment to the shift rod.

Not pumping water could be a bad pump or as simple as a clogged passage for the tell tale. No big deal to R&R the pump.

If you do buy this motor, be aware that draining the carburetor... COMPLETELY, USING THE DRAIN SCREW,... after each outing will keep your carb fresh for the next time. These carburetors do not tolerate being left sitting with fuel in them. They tend to need constant cleaning if you do not drain them. Honda has provided an easily accessible drain screw and the float chamber has a drain hose that allows the fuel to exit the cowling right next to the water pee hole.

Good luck.

Back