Logo

trim wiring

tryintofixher

1983 imperial, 3 wire trim pump. My trim will go down but not up. I noticed that the wire for up first routes to two round things (maybe trim senders?) on the side of the stern drive, but the wire for down doesnt. Those wire to the stern drive are rotted and look like indoor ac lamp wiring. I can't tell what runs where.

If I go straight to the pump from the battery with a jumper I can trim up. can I just bypass that other stuff? whats its purpose.

two "lampcord wires" to each one and can't tell how they were hooked up or how to route through stern drive without dissassembly or magic.

P.S trim switch and other wiring check good.

sorry...newbie to all this and the only wiring diagram I have found is later model with what appears to be a two wire setup from the pump? On the two wires coming from each of the round things one of each appears to be a ground?

This has got to be the most confusing post I've ever published anywhere....lol

Last edited:
Ayuh,... just by-pass the lamp cord, 'n it'll work...
Those wires are for the trim sender to the gauge, 'n the trim limit for the Up circuit...

Bondo is correct. However, if I had another stern drive, I sure would like to know my trim angle on the gauge. So, when your boating season is over, I would recommend re-wiring the whole tilt/trim system.

Back