Logo

new to out boards

i am currently working in a touring business down in south east Texas on the Sabine River. We are building a new boat and thinking of using (2) suzuki 90hp 4 stroke motors to use on our river boat tours we are going to do for the winter. now to give you an idea of what the boat is like we mainly build air boats or fan boats as some people call them. we have a hull built like that except it has a deck and a tarp cover of what you would see on other boats. The vessel was mainly a paddle boat until we got rid of all the hydraulics and wheels.

The boat is about 30' long and well i never got an accurate amount of weight but i am guessing about 2500- 2800 lbs (guesstimate on the 30 inch sides) and it would hold about 30 pass unless coast guard would make us go less. now my question is would the Suzuki be a good boat to just idle around in but also have power to dock the boat. The reason i am asking is i am a 100ton captain with Cat, Detroit and all other engine (exp) on bigger boats like small supply boats on up to ice breakers but nothing on out boards and i wanted to ask you guys who mess with them all the time. ( doing the research for my boss )

btw we have thought about (2) 140 hose motor but i was told it wouldnt be good for just idling and would wear out fast. Also we would have two throttles so would i be able to twin screw ( not walk the boat) but just pivot the boat with the hp on these engines if need be (wind/current). any kind of thoughts would be appreciated.

Back