Logo

boat scared of water

unlucky

1993 force 120hp im a first time boat owner 1st time out with family started hard at dock once started it was ok UNTIL we stopped to drift fish.it would not re-start had to be towed in.took boat to the shop they said it was wireing from switch to the motor they put on a used wire harness started great everytime.2nd time out with family motor started little slow but started went maybe 1000yards to drift fish it would not re-start cranked over and over untill starter bolt worked loose and switch just clicked had to be towed in again.when fixing bolt prob we noticed linkage for 2 carbs was off 1 so fixed that.3rd time out FAMILY WOULDNT GO started up everytime i put it in gear it would shut off finall got it going.so i rode around maybe 20mins turned it off it would not start again had to be towed in.like i said first time boat owner I MUST TELL U IM BOAT STUPID i did not know u can throttle by moveing throttle lever to the right could this be my prob starting once i shut it off.im affraid to try it dont want to be towed in again

Last edited:
Time to find an owners manual for your motor or similar motor.----Read it and become familiar with your boat / motor.--------------Yes you have to move the lever ( throttle only ) to start the motor and to let it warm up.

First things first!!! Basics,do a compression test then a spark test.
Then if and when it starts: what are the rpm's in neutral?In gear?
Do these and get back with the results.
Like racer said there is a fast idle lever that helps get it started.Use it and the choke.It's a push in on the key switch.
Fast idle is pulling the shifter out to the side while in neutral and pushing it forward.
Profile??? You might be close to someone who can help.
Depending on the results.I will tell you which way to go next.J

Do the things jerry here said to do and post results and lets get you going again. Also, its not a bad idea to take some basic learning on a boat.

ok here goes put water muffs on the motor used the push in key deal for the choak gave alittle throttle cranked twice and started also talked to the marina he said the compression test he did was i think 145 he said it should be 150 also the rpms were 2 lines below 1 when on idle put in gear it did not change but i was not in the water also noticed top carb was leaking gas onto lower carb ps thanks again guys

Last edited:
change gaskets on carbs. The rpm will drop +/- 200 when in the water. I would Go to oriellys and rent a compression gage and do it yourself and see what the psi is.

Back