Logo

clunk and i don'tlike what i hear

calcv1530

hi everybody... i'm new here and need some help. I have a 1982 20' "pierce arrow" open bow, OMC chevy350, I think a 800 stringer. I've had the boat about 7 years and have had the out drive rebuilt 6 years ago (because of an oil leak and they had said parts were still around once they opened it up). It has run fine and I baby it ( We ease it into gear and out of gear) but we use it for sking and tubing with the kids. The last time we took it out as we dropped a skier and I let off the throtle it made a loud "clunk", still in gear, I could could go back for them, BUT I didn't like what I heard. Any input would be great, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because I couldn't buy another boat in these times. I tried to head problems off when i had money, but you know how that goes. thanks

NEVER ease it into gear!!!!
Need to put it in gear quick.Slowly allows the clutch dog/gears to grind against each other.
It's not that big a deal.The dogs are still available.
If your mechanical??? Take the propshaft out and flip the dog#38 around.Unless the edges are rounded.
You don't use reverse that often.
I don't have a pic of a good or bad clutch dog.Maybe someone will add one.J

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 56
Ok... so is the clunk im hearing that clutch dog? It didn't slip out of gear, just made a loud clunk/ bang when i let off the throtle.

I'm pretty sure it can be turned around.
It won't slip out of gear unless the whole dog rubs smooth.It just jumps over and resets.It will continue to do that until it gets so bad it does it all the time.

if "a loud clunk on deceleration" is the extent of the symptom, then you have to do some troubleshooting. We could come up with several dozen if not hundreds of guesses.
clutch dog wouldn't be near the start of my list though if it's doing it on decel. possible, but more probable it would slip on acceleration

I'd start by looking for rotten wood, pulled out lag bolts at the stringers where the lag bolts mount the engine and drive to the hull.
If you can get someone to drive and make it do it while you watch with the engine cover open, you'll have a starting point or some idea where the noise is coming from more specifically.

With the incident count at one, I'd say you hit a piece of a tree branch.

That would be great if it were a tree branch. But its not..It started the last time out. Once it started it did it everytime. It didnt seem to do it when slowly throttling down. Were going out Monday and I'll look and listen more closely.

Think the clutch in the tilt is giving and what your hearing is the drive coming up and then slamming down. while underway?

Like going up a wave and then on the way down the drive jumps.

Think the clutch in the tilt is giving and what your hearing is the drive coming up and then slamming down. while underway?

Like going up a wave and then on the way down the drive jumps.

oooh, I'll bet you are on to something there.

Maybe. His might also have the adjustment screw.

See the little gear that moves the halfmoon gear.

The center have a plastic insert ? Remove the insert, and tighten the center screw a turn or 2 it will tighten the clutch.

well.... found the problem. I hadn't noticed untill underway that the that the motor was all the way down (prop up). I normally don't mess with my trim, its set at a place I like. With the wife driving, I have the engine cover up, as soon as she throttles up the motor comes up to its highist point and then back down with a "bang" ( not a clunk with the engine open!) when the gas is let off. So I guess the fluid level is so low the system is empty, it does weep more than leak but even that can only go so far. what is in the system ? and to check it ? and now bleed it also?

Back