Logo

1989 supra sunsport won't stop running when key off?

joel210

I have a 1989 supra sunsport, I have had a few problems with it lately. First is the starter solinoid relay. It clicks when you try to start it, and after about 10 tries or so it finally starts. I installed 2 new starter solinoids, and each time I did, it will work perfect for the first 3 starts, then the solinoid closes shut and won't stop starting the boat. So I have to take off the positive battery cable to make it quit. I ended up putting the original solinoid back on that have just been dealing with the clicking. So, why is it welding the new solinoid shut?

Also, when I shut the boat off, it keeps running. key off? I have to push the ignition breaker on the dash to shut the engine down. I check my key ingition switch and it seems to be working properly.

Other things I have checked are, the ground cable off the battery, all conections, voltage at the coil when the key is on and off.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance.

It is a PCM 351 Cleveland. I'll try the alternator disconnect and see if that does it. If it does work, what problem do I have?

So the problem continues. I did nothing over the winter with the problem :) So this year.... I have had the started tested multiple times, replaced the key ignition switch, battery is at 13 volts, new external starter relay for the 4th time(mounted on the back of the engine), I thought I had it fixed. But, I still have the same problem. The starter stuck on, I had to pull off the positive battery cable to get the boat to stop turning over. can someone tell me how there relay on the back of the engine is wired? the relay box instructions shows one way, and I found a PCM manual online that shows the battery and starter wire opposite of what the instructions on the relay box has. Could it be it is wired up backwards?

thanks again for any help.

Joel

Back