Logo

ok, I know I'm cheap.

sammi

Regular Contributor
I have a 1998 150 evinrude intruder carbed version. I have posted a few powerhead issues here and wondering why I need a new powerhead as the service guys say. The starboard center cylinder is scored. I guess from a bad carb? I don't know. The other cylinders still have honing marks( on that side) Couldn't I just have that cylinder rebored and a new piston, or while its out have them all redone and a new set of oversize pistons. I'm guessing $250 for pistons and $450 to rebore the cylinders? after a new water pump impeller and rebuult carbs maybe have $1000 in it?

sure you can do that, there is no reason to rebuild all the cyls, if only one is bad, but make sure you inspect each piston and cyl wall and make sure they are up to specs. The reason the service guys say new powerhead all they have to do is remove and install the new powerhead and they make the money...with someone else picking up the warranty issue... if they rebuilt they pickup the warranty.

$ 250.00 for six pistons ???-----------Not going to happen for factory pistons.---------------Yes you can do just one if all the others are within specification.--------At a shop labour will likely set you back $1500.00 as well.

Thanks James, i'll look.
Racerone, For some reason I thought that was for 1 side. Thanks for pointing out my oversight.(even if it was a sarcastic dig impying that I can't do 4th grade multiplication). Just so you know I took 2 semesters of Physics at Penn State, granted I was not tops in my class however.

Last edited:
Back