Logo

MD17 question

sailgal

Hello,

I just bought a new to me boat that has a Volvo MD17. I am completely green on diesels but have worked on other types of engines. I am mechanically inclined and can with a little help work through things. The motor actually appears to be in very good shape but has one issue I'm very unhappy about and would like to address. The stop lever/cable is next to impossible to pull. It looks like people have fought it for quite some time with some crazing in the fiberglass. Can anyone give me a few things to look at and try to address this? I am always one to try to do things myself before bringing in the mechanics. She starts right up and runs great so far but this needs to be fixed. Thank you!
SG

G'day
Iam guessing you have a boden type push pull cable set up, over time they tend to corrode and bind between the inner cable and outer cover. Undo the cable at the stop lever end [engine] the lever should mover without much resistance,this way you should be able to isolate the problem.If you have to replace the boden cable you can use a car manual choke replacement kit avaliable at most auto aftermarket stores.

Cheers, Shakey.

Hi Shakey, it is indeed a push/pull cable setup where pull is for the engine stop. I physically cannot stop the engine currently and until I can it won't leave the dock. I suspect it is indeed the cable but I will try the steps above you mention to see what results I find tomorrow evening when I have a chance to get up there. I'll report back once I've had a chance to poke around. Thanks VERY much for the response! SG

Back