Logo

Trim/Tilt motor"failure" on '91 Four Winns

cdbma

Contributing Member
Hi,
It's been some time since I've posted, so I guess that's a good thing!

1991 Four Winns Freedom 170. 120HP, OMC Outdrive: 302BMPRWS.

The trim/tilt motor failed to function over the weekend. Well, kinda. After 90 minutes of diagnosis and ensuring that fuses, wires, relays, etc. were intact, I finally got frustrated and did the old automobile "starter" trick - I whacked it a few times with a big wrench. Yep - that did it! The relay was clicking and I had 12V right at the motor, so I was certain that the motor was fried/seized, etc. I guess not. I ran it up and down a few times and it seems fine. However, I'm skeptical.

Two questions: is this a sign that the motor is on its way out or was that just a freaky thing? Second, can the motor be replaced without impacting the integrity of the T/T system? That is, can I bolt on a new motor and not lose oil and pressure in the system?

Thanks.

Chris

No loss of pressure.It has check valves that hold the pressure.
If it did it once it's only gonna get worse.
You sure that it's the motor and not the solenoid??
I think(maybe) it will just unbolt/unscrew and you can change it.
0986280 OMC part#
I believe this is the part#TILT & TRIM MOTOR 6245 On this site about $175
Oh yea don't buy used!!

Profile???

Last edited:
No loss of pressure. Not sure it's the motor, however, the solenoid clicks and I see the correct voltages when I press "up" and "down." Motor started operating after a few quick raps with a hammer and I had yet to re-attach the solenoid block. So, it was not subjected to the tapping. It's almost the end of the season, so I think this will go on next year's "to do" list. tnx.

Back