Logo

Water flow for 292

trink222

The sherwood pump on my 292 pumps water into the right side of the engine only. The pump works fine with new impellers but the left side (with the oil cooler) gets no water. When I hook a hose up to each side water flows fine through the exhaust. But when the pump is in operation it pumps water into the right side only, the left side of the pump (engine side impeller) sucks water, and so no water enters the block on that side. What is wrong here? jeff

I've rebuilt many of these engines and cooling systems and am presently rebuilding two 292 Interceptor marine engines. Your Sherwood pump should be the one with two outlets and one inlet. The inlet is the larger of the two orifices. when it is mounted correctly, the large orifice is at the bottom and hooks to the inlet hose from the thru hull or seacock. The other two orifices are hosed to the right and left engine inlets at the front of the engine. There should also be a small diameter hose on each side allowing bypass water to go to the exhaust manifolds. The water circulates through the block as if it were two individual four cylinder engines, going in at the front, up through the head and out at the thermostat or thermostats (depending if you have the original side draft Carter set up or a car manifold), Then out through each side to the exhaust manifolds.

From your description, it seems as if you may have the pump hooked up wrong. If you could email photos, I think I can get you on the right track.

I've rebuilt many of these engines and cooling systems and am presently rebuilding two 292 Interceptor marine engines. Your Sherwood pump should be the one with two outlets and one inlet. The inlet is the larger of the two orifices. when it is mounted correctly, the large orifice is at the bottom and hooks to the inlet hose from the thru hull or seacock. The other two orifices are hosed to the right and left engine inlets at the front of the engine. There should also be a small diameter hose on each side allowing bypass water to go to the exhaust manifolds. The water circulates through the block as if it were two individual four cylinder engines, going in at the front, up through the head and out at the thermostat or thermostats (depending if you have the original side draft Carter set up or a car manifold), Then out through each side to the exhaust manifolds.

From your description, it seems as if you may have the pump hooked up wrong. If you could email photos, I think I can get you on the right track.

*Wow! That problem seems so long ago now, but you are absolutely correct. What I did was go back to the original pictures I took when I removed the old engine and zeroed in on the pump and sure enough, the pump was mounted incorrectly.* The bigger problem with this particular marine ingine is the dual Carter YH sidedraft carb settup due to gas spitting out the rear carb. Very bad in a boat and personaly, I have a real aversion to explosions. So I modified a Blue Thunder intake to accept the original water intakes, had a stainless steel valley cover made and added a 450 cfm Holley marine carb and problem solved. I launched for the first time this summer and the engine runs great.* Now if I could only learn how to drive this thing I'd be in good shape.* Hey, thanks again for responding to my post and you hit the nail on the head with that one.* I salute you man.**

Back