Logo

'91 Merc 60HP 3 Cyl Overcharging so installing voltage reg replacing rectifier but...

Bulldug

If anyone has knowledge of how to retrofit the Quicksilver 883072T Voltage Reg replacing my factory rectifier, I would be greatful of any help. I have a Clymer manual on the motor but there doesn't seem to be anything straight forward for installing the voltage regulator on my engine. I understand the rectifiers had problems and later models came standard with the regulator so I went and got one at the local Merc dealer. Figured it would be somewhat simple but it's not. have 2 red wires off the 883072T. I don't know which red wire goes to the starter solenoid and where the other red wire should land. I nutted one off and ran the other to starter. starter pulled in and sealed in. Couldn't turn off at ignition and had to pull negative battery lead. This is where I realize someone smarter than me is needed!

Thanks.

Both red wires go to the same place on the starter solenoid. Test that new rectifier. There is a good chance you damaged a diode(s) when you pulled that new cable off the battery.

Bill...first off, thank you for serving. Go Navy.

I travel a lot and only had a few hours to work on it last weekend before heading out of town again. But I want to clarify we are on the same part here. I pulled out the factory rectifier and installed a regulator as Mercury had done a few years down the road because of these over charging issues. I never had a problem until I mistakenly put a marine maintenance free cranking battery on the boat. Apparently the maintenance free batts don't do well with the old Mercs. So yes, the rectifier did have both of the starter solenoid red wires from the fuse and starter going to the same terminal on it's 3-terminal setup. However, the new regulator the Merc dealer gave me is sealed and has 2 reds, 2 yellows, a gray, and black. I ran the gray to tach...the black to ground..the yellows to the stator wires as was...but now i have 2 reds out of regulator and 2 reds that used to go to rectifier. I tried going ohming them out but didn't find anything that told me they were on the same circuit. After many hours of studying 1991 through 2001 wiring diagrams that have different configurations like heat sensors and low oil alarms, etc....I can't figure out what to do with the 2 reds coming out of the voltage regulator. I spliced one each from reg to one each from the motor and no power...couldn't even power trim the motor. I finally isolated one of the reds from the new voltage regulator with a wire nut and the other red I nutted together with both the reds from the motor that used to go to same terminal on the removed rectifier. I had power to the motor, but when I tried bumping the ignition the starter locked in and wouldn't stop until I pulled the negative lead off the crank batt. Time for marina trip?

Thanks again for you help here and your service to our country.

Back