Logo

OMC electric shift stringer kills engine when shifting into for or rev

vintage vic

hello everybody, let me start by saying,love the forum! its helped me out alot but now I have a question. i've been restoring a 1969 slickcraft 23ft design patent pending is the only id i have on this boat. got it running great till this am. went fishing [or so i thought]. started the engine,warmed it up, put it in reverse and THUD,it stalled my engine and pulled the wheel out of my hand. restarted fine put it in fwd and THUD again,killed the engine. the outdrive is an electric shift stringer that ive had no problems with till now. any help would be appreciated.

I gotta give it to you straight.

If you know your drive, you know the shafts turn gears from the moment you start the motor. to the lower.

So everything is good to there.

You hit the button to go into forward or reverse kills the motor and yanks the wheel.

Your problem is in the lower.

It's not overheating meaning the shafts are turning all the way to the lower.

Sorry it's what i think.

When you do find out i may have a gear set in my basement for you. I said may i got to look.

Lets first find out the problem.

Don't forget that the shift control lowers the engine rpm's by killing half the cyls. just before gears ingage, may be short or idle is to low?

electric shift drives didn't have that - OP's drive is an earlier stringer unit - electric shift

sure sounds like something piled up in the lower

although, I'd be tempted to unplug F shift wires and try reverse, then unplug R shift wire and try forward- not sure if it could be engaging both F and R at the same time. I don't know if that is possible, but easy to eliminate.

Mornin everybody. thanks for all the advice.time to pull the outdrive lower. pump water great,so im ok there.will chek wires for short and lower gears and springs.

get back to us with what you find.

Esa is in latter models and engage only when coming out of gear not into gear.

Why the esa or something like it as in a merc. ?

The dog clutch drive has a design where the gears are back cut. The motor has to stumble to allow the gears to separate.

But the electric shift drives do not have that.

Sorry once again i'm glad Hy piped in maybe i missed something.

tore it down last nite.gears and bearings look good.found 2 small cuts in in the wiring.one at the alum pass through the other 1/4 inch from the first shift coil.someone was in here before me.lots of shellac sealer. any idea on shift coil resistance?:confused:

There is neutral, forward and reverse.

With no juice going ether way it should be in neutral.

The vertical shaft turns soon as the motor starts, turns the water pump also.

Hy got it right the wires grounding out or and wrong lower gearcase gear oil.

You can gt that gear oil at any bombaider or evinrude dealer. It won't conduct electricity.

That CLUNK happened to me in May. It was a short in the electric shift wires, the forward and reverse was engaging at the same time and killing the engine.

That CLUNK happened to me in May. It was a short in the electric shift wires, the forward and reverse was engaging at the same time and killing the engine.

Back