Logo

1990 Evinrude E100STLES Charging System question..........

Jim In Alabama

I suspect I may have a charging problem, it's been charging fine but last week on the water had to jump start off trolling battery, and then noticed the voltage reading on sonar unit was only showing 9 -10 volts with engine running, in the past it's always been around 13.5.* I slow charged the battery and checked again, the voltage was 10 - 11.5.* Have not tested the battery but it's a decent quality marine cranking battery only 4 months old.

The tach has had issues since I got the boat this spring, it only works intermittently for short periods at lower rpm.* I installed a known good tach and got same results so there's been something going on with the rectifier or the wiring.

I haven't done any ohm checks yet, I'd like to get all the info together before I decide whether to even try to troubleshoot this myself.* (I can't afford to take it to a marine shop now.)* Is there a reliable "poor man's" check using only a standard volt/ohm meter?*

Another question .......... The parts breakdown shows both a rectifier AND a rectifier/regulator.* The OMC manual describes ohm checks for both, but the rectifier check is shown for 88 model only, does my motor have both a rectifier AND a rectifier/regulator, or only the latter?
Thanks,
Jim

The tach going haywire is a good indicator that your rectified/regulator is shot. Follow the OMC procedure for checking it and be prepared to replace it.

The tach going haywire is a good indicator that your rectified/regulator is shot. Follow the OMC procedure for checking it and be prepared to replace it.

Thanks for the reply........and when I get in there, will I find both a rectifier and a rectifier/regualtor? Or just the rectifier/regulator?

Thanks again,
Jim

Back