Logo

Mariner or Yamaha..??

Richard2hp

Just inherited a non-running 1984 Mariner 2hp..(??).. Went to the local Merc / Mariner dealership looking to buy a carb rebuild kit and they said only the impellor is still available, all other parts are NLA..

Got in touch with a close Marine engine repair friend and he disassembled the carb and cleaned it up, flushed the gas tank, replaced the fuel lines.. She fired up on the 1st pull and ran great for 5 minutes.. We shut her down and 30 seconds later, gas is pouring out of the air intake manifold.. He tapped on the bowl lightly with the butt end of a screw driver and it stopped..

I took the engine home and fired it up and when I shut it down, gas again poured from the air intake.. My friend removed the carb again a few days later and said the bowl was full of "gunk" from the gas tank, fuel lines, etc.. He cleaned it up, said it was fine..

I fired it up last night and the same problem, gas pouring from air intake....

Question: While "shopping" the internet for a carb rebuild kit, none are to be found on any Merc / Mariner OEM or aftermarket stores but----one man told me that the 2hp Mariner's are really Yamaha's and sure enough, I found carb rebuild kits, new floats, water pumps, etc..

Can anyone recommend or suggest what I need to do to fix this problem..??

Also, the plastic fuel tank has a tiny crack in it.. Where do I go to find a replacement..?? Or, is there a product out there that I can pour in the tank, swish it around, pour it out and let it dry for a few days that would seal the crack from the inside..??

Thanks for any help provided..

Richard

It might be a good idea just to replace the tank and fuel lines,try Yamaha for a tank from an early '80's 2HP.Or if you can locate the crack on the outside,plastic weld,very carefully.Or widen the crack and fill with epoxy resin.

Thanks for the advice haventaclue,

Have applied gas and oil resistant epoxy to the cracked tank---so far, so good..!!

I saw another 84' Mariner 2hp on ebay for sale.. The guy had said the carb had just been rebuilt, new impellor installed at a local marina.. I got in touch with him to find out where tha heck the marina got parts for it from, that every website I'm searching is telling me that the 2hp Mariners are "obsolete" / parts no longer available.. His reply---- "It's not a Mercury / Mariner engine.. It's a Yamaha / Mariner engine.. Search www. boats.net / yamaha 2 cycle outboards.. They have every thing you need to keep these "2 wild mustangs" running..!!"

Sure enough, it appears they do have all replacement / service parts available for this little engine.. Ordered the carb rebuild kit, everything fit perfectly.. 30 mins and 1 pull later, she purred like a kitten..!! Can't tell you how thrilled I am to know that parts are out there..!! I'll be ordering the "head gasket rebuild kit, another carb rebuild kit, lower unit seals kit and water pump reair kit".. Total: $117.00+... Not bad, considering the "2 banger" is close to pulling up on 30 years old..!!

Thank goodness for boats.net... And the guy selling his on ebay with the great advice..

And, thanks again haventaclue to you too..!!

Richard

Back