Logo

1992 25 mercury electric start conversion help

Hey,

I am trying to convert my 1992 pullstart merc to electric start using parts from a junk 1999 model.

To this point i have:

Swapped flywheels (the newer flywheel has the ring gear)
mounted the starter
Mounted the rectifier
Mounted the solenoid

As far as wiring goes i have:
wired up the two (red and yellow) wires to the solenoid and rectifier.
Wired the yellow wire from the solenoid to the starter and the red wire to the rectifier (to the same post as the tiller based red wire.

My Question is that i do no have the same wires coming from my stator. I have a black stator currently on the motor hince it just has the 2 wires that connect to the switchbox. All the diagrams i have are for the red stator and it has a yellow and grey set of wires that also connect to the rectifier and another set of wires that run to the solenoid.

are the additional wires strictly to charge my battery via the rectifier? I have the red stator but i have mechanical spark advance so i dont think that will go together.

Basically what do i need to do to make this right?

Thank you

There is an "add on" for the black stator models to allow you to charge the battery. Merc part 42282A4 is the secondary stator (called a lighting coil kit). Unfortunately, it lists for about 86 bucks and it only produces 60 watts (about 5 amps) and that's only at wide open throttle. So in many cases, if you make short runs out to stop and fish, you end up putting very little "juice" back into the battery.

I run one myself on my 15 horse but scrapped the "rectifier" and replaced it with a "lighting regulator" which allowed me to wire my nav lights up directly. They are "on" whenever the motor is running and they don't require any battery at all to operate (so even if my battery is dead, I can manually start and run at night with the lights working - or leave the battery at home all together and simply rope start it).

Anyhow, if you run shorter distances you may want to consider forgetting trying to charge the battery at all (with the motor). It really really doesn't give you that much juice. The average battery will start the motor quite a few times before it needs a recharge (which is done better at home/dockside with a nice regulated charger which will extend the life of the battery compared to the unregulated rectifier on the little Merc's).

If you had visions of recharging a deep cycle battery that you use for electronics/trolling motor, then it really won't be viable.

If you run say a 30 lb trolling motor for an hour while you are fishing, it would suck anywhere between maybe 15-25 amp hours out of your battery. You would have to run at full throttle for between 3 and 5 "hours" to replace what was sucked out - not viable.

So the bottom line is - if you do nothing more with your battery than use it to start the motor (no assessories), the charge system on the 25 will keep a fully charged battery "topped up", much the same as a trickle charger would.

Only you can decide if that's worth about 100 bucks (by the time you get in the taxes) for the secondary stator kit.

ok great,

Thank you for the post.

I have the other part of the stator. I was not sure if it was worthwhile putting on or not.

Atleast now i know it is strictly to charge the battery.

That just leaves me with the neutral safety switch. Which i have but am not sure where to mount on this motor. I can see where it mounts on my 99 model motor but i has the electronic timing thus a totally different set of linkages and pullys. I guess the only thing to do is not start it in neutral?

Back