Logo

Fuel cleaning procedures...

Ricky Lancaster

How should I go about cleaning all my fuel lines and tanks. I believe I have a fuel problem and having an older boat I know it will not hurt to clean all the fuel related parts. Thanks in advance for all your help......

Last edited:
I made a fuel "polisher" system that works very well. I used a 4 ft. section of bendable copper tubing 3/8" to vacume the bottom of the fuel tank out. You can bend the tubing to get around fuel tank baffles if you have them. I unscrewed the sending units to gain access to the inside of the fuel tanks. I hose clamped 3/8" fuel hose (about 12 ft.) to the copper tubing. The fuel hose goes to a high capacity 12Volt fuel pump(from a racing car) and from there the fuel pumps through a raycor fuel/water seperator (turbo 800 with 2 micron filter). The return hose goes from the fuel filter to the deck fill to returm the cleaned fuel to the tank. Let it run for an hour as you vacume around the bottom of the tank.

I used to long fuel hose to get the pump and filter away from the boat/fuel tank. You must be extremely careful not to create any sparks!!! A fuel polishing service wanted $800 so I build my own rig for about $200.

Ayuh,... I built a portable polishin' system myself,...

It's a Mack 2ndary fuel filter(which holds about a gallon, 2 or 4 micron, don't remember), 'n an electric fuelpump, along with assorted hoses, 'n fittings...

I plumb it into the boat system where ever I need to, 'n clip the wire leads to the battery...
usually from the tank outlet, 'n back in the fuel fill...
If I had to scour the tank bottom, a short piece of copper tubing would allow goin' in through the tank sender...
I've salvaged a few tanks of gas with it so far, if ya can call the sh!t their callin' Gas, Gas nowadays...

Back