Logo

Suzuki or me. Who's right? 2.5hp

Bobby Sharrock

Hey there. I'm new to this forum and it looks like there are some helpful folks. I have an issue of Suzuki as follows. Any suggestions on how to proceed. They just tell me your fault. I have had this motor since April and haven't been able to use it yet. Ruining my summer plans.

• Timeline:
    • Owner brought engine to Inland Marine Co. in Antioch, CA with issue of engine tendency to stall when the throttle was engaged with any load. Inland Marine Co. replaced Carburetor under warranty. No explanation of why carburetor was defective.
    • Owner had working engine for first test in standing water. Owner stored engine in proper order for a 3-4 week period and tested again. Initial Issue was present. Owner took engine back to Inland Marine Co. for diagnostics and service August 5[SUP]th[/SUP], 2011.
    • Inland Marine offered to replace carburetor at owner’s expense without looking inside carburetor. Bad fuel blamed because of varnish smell. Owner refused service while taking possession and bought additive recommended by Inland Marine to clear of ethanol. Attempt was to clear possible build-up in carburetor.
    • Customer service gave options to take engine home or replace carburetor again but under Owner’s expense.
    • Under Owner care and the replacement of the old fuel with new quality brand gasoline plus the new additive, engine had same issue with additional issue of shutting off on own accord. Shut off started occurring about 5 – 10 minutes after startup yet became more frequent until engine runs last for 1 to 2 seconds. Engine idles well when engine is running.
    • Suzuki Customer service suggested taking outboard back to Inland Marine for a third time so carburetor can be taken apart and proved to be varnish. Why not before I picked it up? They changed their options once I had to drive again.
    • Customer service suggested replacing spark plug for dead motor issue. Spark plug was fouled but replacement did not improve performance.
  • Taken to service twice.
    • First visit: Flat spot at beginning of throttle commonly causing motor to stall instead of rev. Warranty replacement of carburetor. No mention of Varnish in gasoline.
    • Second visit August 5[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011 - August 12[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011: Same problem as first visit. Varnish in gasoline concluded as cause of problem. Problem immediately accompanied by motor dying with new gas and varnish clearing additives.
  • Replaced gas with new “good” gas from Chevron, of which was researched to be suitable by Suzuki standards at around 10% ethanol level, plus Mercury Precision Cares Fuel Treatment for all grades of gas and ethanol blends, recommended by the Antioch service department to clear possible varnish deposits.
  • Runs well and idles well yet now after good gas and additives, the motor will not run. The day the motor was taken by owner after second visit it ran for 10 minutes until it quit and over 4-5 attempts at running motor, the length of run time before shutdown declined until the motor became non-operational. The carburetor seems to be idling the motor as expected, the system just has issues with initial power with load and now dies. The motor did not just die for no reason before it was taken to Inland Marine Co the second time.
  • The carburetor (Aluminum) will not degrade under exposure to 10% ethanol as the clerk at Inland Marine Co. Antioch.
  • Chevron gas contains 10% ethanol.

well, you got alot goin' on here.
my '06 2.5hp (1st year of the 2.5 - 4 stroke) has had it's share of problems as well. i purchased in May '06. so this is a 1st generation motor.

- i did have a new carb installed about 18 months ago. the jets are very small and tend to clog if you don't run it regularly (in addition to complete run out each time you expect it to sit for a while) does seem to run fine now at low speeds
- regarding stall-out...i have never been able to quickly accelerate. that is...there has always been a "flat-spot". i've learned to live w/it

i've had cooling problems for most of it's existence...
- that is, the water pump doesn't seem to be enough to cool the motor when running for long periods at wide open throttle (WOT).
- there was a recall on the water pump/impeller about 6 months after purchase (Dec '06). supposedly, they retro-fitted the pump housing
- since then, i've had the impeller replaced twice. originally, it was a four blade impeller. today, they replace w/ a five blade impeller
- my model (although still officially under extended 6 yr warranty...overheating is NOT covered), does NOT have a "tell-tale" (pee-hole) water pump indicator. that is, all water "spits" out the dual exhaust ports mid-way down the shaft
- since i had the five blade impeller replaced, it does spit out more water, but is noticeably hot (steamy) after running at WOT for long periods
- and, will usually die-out once i throttle down
- then i use the choke to start-up, and slowly cruise off

there are definitely some major defects in this motor that Suzuki will not acknowledge.
although, i have found that if i use primarily for low speed motoring in my dinghy, it starts on first pull, idles down nicely, and runs fine.

Last edited:
one more thing...

i'm not going to spend any more $$$ on this motor.
* original cost - $650 (May '06)
* cost of service and repairs since original purchase - $400
* cost for new motor today on internet - $699 + free ship + no tax + new 3 year warranty

you do the math...

It's a common and not that difficult problem. You find the solution in this forum thread: http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/suzuki-outboard-parts-forum/3166-df-2-5-questions-3.html

The motor is equipped with too small jets. Especially the pilot jet (controls the fuel at idle to about 1/4 throttle). You have replace the original #32 pilot jet with a #34 pilot jet. Maybe even the #64 main jet with a #66 main jet.

Then you have to drill out a plug on the carburator to get access to adjust the primary mixture screw, for adjusting idle. On youtube there's a russian video that shows how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3EQIxFZqpE

Back