Logo

2001 yamaha f115 4stroke RPM ranges

soloblazer

i just bought a 22' princecraft deckboat and it has a 2001 yamaha f115 4stroke on it, just was wondering what the max rpms is, and also what a good rpm for cruising would be. also i am new to the 4stroke world, have owned many 2 stroke but not 4 stroke, if anyone could give me the dos and donts of these 4storkes that would be great, thanks.

I think max rpms will differ based on boat size and also which prop is on the motor, but my f115s max out around 5500 and I consider a good cruising level to be between 4000 and 4500, depending on how fuel efficient you want to be. 4000 rpms gives me better fuel economy.

Thanks for the reply, i know it depends on the boat and weight and prop etc, i just want to not be over reving the motor, do you know the max rpm yamaha says.

I've read where Yamaha targets 5500-6000 for WOT rpms.......so I wouldn't go over 6000. And if your motor has the ability to get over 6000, you probably need a bigger prop.

Ok, thanks for the answers, it seems as if i dont go over 5500 i am safe to go. Also what do i need to do to this motor for the winter, i live in the mountains of NC so its not extremely cold but does get below freezing. thanks

Well the second guy above is very close. Firstly - you can't over rev any new Yamaha 4 stroke engine as they all have automatic rev limiters on them. For a 115 the limiter cuts in at 6150 rpm. The motor does not cut out it just sounds like the engine is surging. It is VERY important that you let this engine rev. With just one person it the boat and a light load of fuel it should rev to 6000rpm. If you prop it for a lower level the boat will be slow out of the hole (take-off) and will not reach maximum top end speed. It will also cause the engine to do a strange thing call "add-oil". What happens is that if you have the engine wide open and the engine cannot reach its maximum designed revs , gas will be blown past the rings and will dilute the engine oil with gasoline. Check you oil level and see if you have too much oil - if so change it and put on the prop that will reach 6000 rpm (for you Princecraft try a 13 1/4 X 17 in as a starting point. DO NOT WORRY about over reving your engine - it is made exactly for this rpm range, only old 2 strokes rev 5200-5500. I have owned a F100 (pretty much the same engine) and it has about 30,000 miles on it. It's proped for 6000 rpm (I nornally cruise at 4200rpm which is a sweet spot on this engine) and it starts, runs and performs EXACTLY the same as it did the day I brought it home in 2001. Have fun - Bob

Last edited:
For what it is worth everything stated by the last post is absolutely on the money and very important to maximize motor life.

If you can only get the engine to rev at 4500-5000, you are only letting the engine deliver about 80hp!! This engine has got to rev to get the full potential out of it and it if you lug it at wide open throttle you will damage the engine by either washing down the cylinders with excessive fuel being blown by the rings or in extreme cases by detonation (this will destroy the engine - better known as pinging) - Bob

I've read where Yamaha targets 5500-6000 for WOT rpms.......so I wouldn't go over 6000. And if your motor has the ability to get over 6000, you probably need a bigger prop.

hi...if your motor is brand new then you must follow break in prior, during that time you must keep under revolution, but you can go full rpm to check the
propeller.

I am so glad you mentioned this. I have wondered this for years. The procedure for finding the proper prop on a new outboard seems to contradict the recommended break-in procedure. I would love for someone to clear this up for me.

Pawzz

This makes some sense. Just wish the dealer was on the same page as they told me the prop on the boat would reach WOT RPM max. Now I will always wonder if the engine life has been compromised.

Get your first 2 hours of breakin done. Then check the WOT for less than 30 seconds. NO problem.

Back