Logo

f115 timing question

CrCaptain

Can this engine run if it isnt timed correctly? Recently pulled the back cover off to repair a hole and the guy helping me took it upon himself to "fix" the alignment of the arrows by moving it aprox. two teeth so the arrows would line up. (didnt tell me this untill later) Then I started having problems at idle and low rpms. cutting off. no problems at wot. but intermittently didnt want to throttle up, then the problem completely dissapears, (as soon as the wrench got on board) Then as soon as the mech. got off the boat it started doing it again.

To answer your question: Yes the engine can run if it isn't timed correctly. To make the motor run correctly the timing needs to be corrected. Just curious why did that idiot align the arrow for? You need a time light to check your timing before making any adjustment. The general rule of thumb is if it's aint broke don't fix. If he mess around with your timing gear and now your motor has a problem then tell him to put it back to the way it was. Tell him don't touch your motor from now on Einstein. When might have retarded your motor a bit too much now and it will cause your motor to cut out at low rpms.

Back