Logo

Yamaha 225 Starting

seaboyblue

Hello everyone,

I am finding lately that my yamaha 225 four stroke is getting harder to start when cold. It's okay starting throughout the day when the engine is warm, but when I leave her for a few days it takes 4-5 seconds to crank over. In previous years it never took as long. I service the motor every year, change oil, filters, and plugs. What are your thoughts on this issue.

Thanks

As the high pressure pump cycles on when I turn the ignition on for about 3-4 seconds on my f150, (I assume it does the same on an f225) I'd try turning the key on for about 5 seconds (with out engaging starter) , then turn it off and right away turn it on and wait another 3-4 seconds before starting. If it's taking time for fuel pressure to build at the rail this should get it to start quicker. It's possible that your fuel rail is draining down down due to leaky injectors or something similar. If it's electrical you'll need a tech with a scanner.

Your motor is dead. Sell it to me cheap. Nahh J/K... This is normal if you let the motor sit for awhile. You need to prime the pump a few times to build up fuel pressure in the line just like Dward said and it should start quickly.

Back