Logo

2011 Mercury 9.9 hp 4 stroke

tigerjohn

I just got bought a new 9.9 hp 4 stroke and I have a question. When I put it in neutral I can spin the prop by hand freely in either direction. In Reverse it doesnt spin in either direction (CW or CCW). When I put it in Forward it spins freely in one direction only. It also makes a distinct "click" about 3 times for every complete revolution. There is also some resistance just before each click. It will not spin in the other direction in Forward. Is this normal?

Very normal indeed !!!-----------------Just the way the gear dogs and edges are machined.--------------The resistance you feel is the spring on the clutch dog being compressed.

Thankyou Racerone. Motor just doesnt seem to have much power especially with 2 people, battery, 3gal tank and a little fishing gear. Thats what got me looking at prop. Is there a way to get a little more power by changing to another prop? It's new and under warranty so maybe I shouldn't even mess with it?

It may help to get another prop with less -----PITCH -------------this will allow the motor to get into a higher rpm range quicker.

Back