Logo

F150 TXRD power loss

FlippinR91

I have '05 F150 that isn't running well. Noticed that the fuel bowl empties and the primer bulb loses prime. I don't think this is my problem as keeping it pumped up manually doesn't seem to help. Any ideas on why the bowl empties? All filters except the injector filters have been changed already.

Can someone send me some directions on how to properly clean the injectors and injector filters on the F150? Also, where can I get a pressure gauge to check the fuel rail pressure and where do I hook it up? Is it the valve on the rail that looks like a bicycle stem? Thanks.

simyamaha.com for the fuel pressure gauge. As for cleaning the injectors and replacing the filters I've added a link below. The yamaha injectors don't have pintle caps but the rest is very similar. But depending on how much you want to do yourself, you might be better off to send them to fuelinjectorman.com for about $20 each. And yes the fuel pressure gauge hooks up to the schrader valve (looks like tire stem) on the fuel rail. Make sure to let Andy at SIM know you need it for a Yamaha four stroke.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/DIYFuelInjectorCleaning.htm

Dward,

How easy is it to get to just the screens? Would it be worth while to clean them and then just run some fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system? I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner. Thanks.

If you want to clean them yourself you can get the baskets/filters for 50 cents each at fuelinjectorconnection.com. Tell them you have Denso injectors on a Yamaha outboard. Also to do it right you should be able to open and close the injector to allow fluid through. Ask the guy for the electrical pigtail that fits on the injector and then wire it into a 9volt transformer. 12volt will work but 9 is safer as you don't want to fry the injector coil. Get a button switch and then just click it open and closed as you push fluid through. But don't hold the injector open more than just clicking it open and closed so you don't heat it up and fry it.

I used a half inch clear plastic hose that fits over the end of the injector and then a hose clamp to secure it. I also got a air pressure regulator and a valve so I poured sea foam into the hose, hooked the regulator and compressor up, dialed up to 40 psi and cycled the fuid backwards through the injectors to clean them. With all the electrical junk I've bought over the years I have a box of the plug in charger transformers in my shop. I also got an ultrasonic cleaner that I also cycled the injector in while the bottom half inch was in the bath. The ultrasonic cleaner also cleans up the vst filters like new.

So you can see I set up a rather sophisticated system to clean mine which is what you need to clean them properly. But as the boat with the f115s was at the family place in Florida, and I only get down there for a few weeks a year, time was the biggest constraint. I was able to replace the VST filter and have the injectors cleaned with new filters by the end of my first day down. Then I was able to put a beat down on the grouper.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I am going to ask you to do one simple test and you should narrow down where's the problem with your motor. Get an empty 1 liter soda bottle and suck on it. What will happen to the bottle? it will collapses, correct? Do you know why the bottle collapse?

Now let's think about the problem with your motor logically. The fuel starts at the fuel tank, it goes to the fuel filter/water seperator. Then it goes thru the primer bulb and then to your fuel pump. The fuel pump "sucks" the fuel from the tank and pushes it to the injectors. Can you figure out why the primer bulb collapse?

Start looking for your problem from the fuel pump back to the tank first to save yourself some money.

Last edited:
I have '05 F150 that isn't running well. Noticed that the fuel bowl empties and the primer bulb loses prime. I don't think this is my problem as keeping it pumped up manually doesn't seem to help. Any ideas on why the bowl empties? All filters except the injector filters have been changed already.

If the primer bulb is empty there is an air leak between the bulb and the tank or the dip tube in the tank is missing or damaged.
If the primer bulb is flat, then you have a blockage between the bulb and the tank.

Back