Logo

fuel vent/bogging question

FlaBoy73

I am first time boat owner and learning as I go. Boat is new with 2011 Suzuki DF140. Had boat out yesterday and it started to bogg at or near wide open throttle. Ran fine at lower RPMs. It would bogg but then kick back in. When thinking about what it could be I remembered tightening down on the fuel vent 2 days before, because it was venting quit a bit of gasoline when refueling. Now that I have done some more reading, I've realized I was probably pumping the gas too quickly. I have not had a chance to get back on the boat to test my guess.... but do you think the over tightened fuel vent is the culprit? I'm guessing if the vent can't supply the needed air to replace the gas that is being sucked down by the engine .... bogging will ensue??​

I checked vent cap. I may have tightened it, but defintely didn't close it any. In fact you can't close it, as it will only let you tighten so far before it stops, so that the screened vent remains open. In trying to think of other possibly related symptoms .... I've noticed the primer bulb never hardens after pumping, but am not sure what that means if anything. And as stated above, I noticed more gas than normal coming from the vent when re-fueling right before this trip. It occured even though I made effort to pump more slowly. This did not occur at previous fill ups, except one where I filled tank all the way up to its limit.

Back