Logo

mercury 25 side shift conversion

Just a curious question here.

I have a 25 merc with the factory shifter in handle. I love the shifter but when its cold it can be a real pain to idle sometimes. I happen to have a tiller that i bought with a pile of parts that is mercury tiller but has a conventional throttle only handle. I have heard that there are kits to make it have a shifter on the side of the motor but have no seen one. My motor has the rubber cover over where the shifter would mount, which i assume is for a remote shift hookup.

Just curious as to how much this would cost since i already have the tiller assembly? And is it as simple as removing the shift rod that runs to the throttle pully and attaching a lever instead.

Just to be clear i am not wanting to make this motor remote (steering wheel) controlled.

Thanks

Your really gonna hate Mercury when you find out what the conversion parts cost.
I forget the price but it was like 1/3 the price of a new 25 hp some insane price..

Did you know that--if properly adjusted--the 'choke' set up opens the throttle a bit to help the motor idle faster? There's a rod that pulls the mag open a bit. Take a look and you'll see. Sometimes it needs to be adjusted to pull the mag open a bit more.

Jeff

Back