Logo

Aftercoolers plugging 6v92

Luckytoo

I have had to have 6v92 500 hp aftercoolers cleaned aftyer about 3 months of use. Mechanics here can't determine cause. Both engines plug up at about the same rate. After cleaning both engines run great with no smoke. After 1 month smoke starts and progressively gets worse. HELP

Exhaust leak into engine room will only clog intake not aftercoolers. Aftercoolers are after the turbos, before the blowers. Where exactly is the clog accuring. Severe exaust leak will also derate power severly and smoke out engine room very noticeably. What does the clog cocist of?

The clog is in the aftercoolers it is oily and wil have the fins densly packed. The boat is a charter boat and is used 3-4 times a week. Thank you for help

The aftercooler is located in the center of the block underneath the blower. An intercooler would be positioned between the turbo and the blower. These nomenclatures get mixed up a lot.

If you are oiling the aftercooler, it is most likely because the blower rotor end seals are leaking although it could be a turbo-shaft seal as well.
Eliminate the possibility of a leaking turbo with visual inspection before condemning the blower seals. If you determine that the blower seals are the source of the oil, then you should consider a blower rebuild.

Both engines? only the turbos or blowers could leak oil but both at the same time, strange either way its a big job and your gonna have to start with one engine cure it move to the next after problem found and solved.

I have had to have 6v92 500 hp aftercoolers cleaned aftyer about 3 months of use. Mechanics here can't determine cause. Both engines plug up at about the same rate. After cleaning both engines run great with no smoke. After 1 month smoke starts and progressively gets worse. HELP
Have you had any luck? If after coolers were cleaned and again clogged with oil sludge, while blower is off check visable for oil flow down turbo outlet and at ends of blower rotors? Detroits run very sloppy! Any oil dripping from air box tubes while running? If vessle can't get up on plane black smoke is normal and untill it does it will smoke, but clogging the coolers will not accure, only oil and dirty air supply can do that. Torbo or blower! Both engines?

I appreciate all of your help and this week will be looking at turbo seals. Now there is a new twist. I have located a set of series Cummins and would like to find someone who has made the swap from 6v92s. Last swap i made was from gas to Cats in 33 Bert and saved a lot of time by talking with someone who had also done it

Thanks

Hi Luckytoo,
You should probably start a new thread with the engine swap question. Two as a matter of fact. One here and one on the Cummins forum.
Good luck with your repair.

Back