Logo

1977 OMC Electric Shift OVERHEATING Problems - please help!

neonguy

Hello please help... I cannot get a mechanic to touch this OMC Outdrive and have been told to never buy another. I've had it with this OMC electric shift (stringer 400?) driven by a 4cyl gm 120 hp. After replacing the upper bearing set, back to back seals, o rings, impeller, water pump housing, and pumping grease into the lower grease fitting on the lower unit, I still overheat (no water flow) while in gear, even at low rpm. The intake tube is fine, not clogged, and nor is the screen inlet above the propeller. Also, I put in a new seal on the swivel housing.

I removed the thermo, no change. Upon initial start, I get water flow in Neutral. It took 21 seconds to fill a gallon milk container. Once the boat is underway, it heats up in 30 seconds to 1 minute... no water flow from impeller. If running hot and in Neutral, the motor's steam will not allow the impeller to push up water into the exhaust riser... I must remove the hose (burning my arm) and allow the impeller to push up the water, then reconnect. Then the motor will cool down and stay cool until i click into gear (fwd or back) and then if i remove the hose under motion... no flow! wtf!? cruel joke by OMC engineers? If I remove the flushing cap while underway, there is considerable bubbles in the water coming out. I just spent the entire family vacation working on this boat and my kids sat on shore watching me sweat in the parking lot. Now its personal. Either I fix this thing or I blow it up!!

Back