Logo

Omc 3.8 sterndrive

Buddah_iii

ive looked at the diagrams of the upper and lower gearcase i've gotten the whole unit apart from the upper but their is a black hose running from the upper still attached to the boat and to the top of the bottom of the gearcase, i have had no luck seperating the upper and lower apart to get to the water pump ive removed all the bolts i could see from the bottom and still nothing, anyone have any knowledge on splitting the upper and lower case? or what that black hose is?

yes, black hose is the shift cable. (a new one is $600, so do not stretch, twist or damage it) I suggest an OMC factory manual. If you want that cable off, start at the converter box behind the engine. Remove the battery from the boat before working on that cable.
Some suggest the impeller can be changed by just dropping the lower and kind of twisting it out of the way. I have always just removed the whole outdrive and then separate it on the bench. Whatever works for you.

sorry i didnt specify, it a 1984 marlin 17ft had a 3.8l. the motor is out the only thing left in the boat at the moment are the new stringers and the outboard everything else is out due to rot/ damage, now i know what it is thank you for your information, ill see what i can do. the whole upper case and lower case are attached it is still conected to the boat from the shift cable the only thing keeping it on the boat so i cant pull it off the boat ><

update. i removed the converter box got the cable free inside the boat now no way of getting it through the outboard. if i could seperate the upper and lower case i wouldnt have to even bother with it, im sure whomever pulled this prior used some kind of silicone or gasket sealer to seal the lower and upper together

the two gearboxes aren't sealed together.
they don't share oil - my guess: you probably haven't removed all the bolts - there are a couple under the trim tab and rear fin anode that fasten the lower to the exh housing

best to use a factory manual (can be had for about 10 minutes worth of gas on eBay)

On the very top of the drive there are 5 screws remove them.

Have a table or chair ready on the port side , the whole exhaust shield and lower will come down don't pull on the cable place the lower on the table.

Now you can get the water pump.

Update: I got the two apart, They were indeed sealed together with some kind of Thick glue. Almost like liquid nails. this whole outboard is trashed the lower case was cracked all the oil leaked out it had water in it. all the bearings are shot. Its most definetly time to buy a new one. thank you everyone for your input have a great one!:cool:

Back