Logo

6v71 blowing smoke

adylovestrisha

geta mates i have a 38ft live aboard,with a single 1974 6v71 thats blowing blue smoke with a burnt smell coming from the exhusts,can some body give me some advice as 2 the problem tar very much

Last edited:
It could be any of a number of things. Blue smoke is from engine oil getting into the combustion chamber.
Some usual suspects are:

Piston rings-
The nice thing about Detroits is that you can take the side covers off of the block and visually inspect them for wear.

Blower end seals-
The intake housing can be taken off to access the air inlet screen. You can remove the screen and look at the blower lobes to see if they are being "washed down" with oil.

Valve guides-
If the valve guides or stems or badly worn, oil can enter there. Although not all that common a problem, it is something to check, especially on an engine with lots of hours.

Air box drains-
Detroit Diesels are designed to leak oil out of these drains. That's the first place to look for unwanted oil entering the combustion chamber. If the drains are plugged or if it has an "oil catch" system to keep the floor of the engine room and the bilge from getting oiled down and it is clogged or full of oil, the air box can't drain and she will smoke. Some people that are not well informed about Detroits will sometimes plug these drains on purpose because they want everything to be "neat". Bad move!

Good luck with her.

Defintly check the drains they must contiuosly blow air while running on both sides of engine, if not there is your oil into cylinder and out the exaust as blue smoke probem, some oil dripping is normal the more the worse something is. If there both blowing air with very slight dripping of liquid then you have a injecter problem or compression problem in one or more cyls. Very common piston ring or even a burnt exaust valve. Does it smoke all the time hot or cold?

dear colonnas marine ,it smokes all the time and i can smell a burnt smell from the exhust any idea why it smells burnt. sorry it has taken so long to replie but work work and more work bloody boss is a slave driver

Make sure the air box drains air blowing air, and are they dripping oil. Could be a miss firing cyl. Do you have A DEAD CYL.? YOU NEED A detroit MECHANIC TO CHECK FURTHER, WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED.

Back